Sunday 13 July 2014

Happy Anniversary!

Today is exactly one year since my first blog post. Then I had just handed in my notice at work and we were starting to let friends and family know that we would be travelling to live and work in Uganda for 2 years.

The blog has covered the year and my impressions. There are 45 posts, not quite the 1 per week I aimed for but not far off. There have been nearly 2000 page views from all over the world. Not surprisingly over 50% from the UK but also lots of views from USA and more recently Uganda. The most popular post was about 'Contrasts' posted on 3rd June followed by the Christmas Eve visit to the Equator and a Day out in Entebbe on 28th October. The least popular post is about the Land Platform meeting in Lira on 5th March with just 2 page views!!

A lot has happened in the last year. Looking back it was a very exciting and extremely busy time. I was working my notice and handing over work, doing VSO training, fundraising, shopping and packing, preparing the house for rental and travelling around the UK to visit people before we flew out. I lived and worked in York and was surrounded by the beautiful old buildings for which York is famous.





Kampala is very different, much more chaotic and noisy but colourful and vibrant


We've had some amazing experiences and the opportunity to travel around the country and see animals in the parks and beautiful scenery.





We have a lovely apartment on the outskirts of Kampala and a group of VSO volunteers who have become very close friends. We both now have volunteering roles keeping us busy but they are enjoyable and worthwhile.

I've had a few wobbles where I would have happily climbed on a plane home, but overall I'm glad I was given the opportunity and had the courage to take it. Thank you VSO for a memorable year and I look forward to the rest of the placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment