Sunday 22 March 2015

Thinking Ahead

As I rapidly approach my last 6 months in Uganda I'm starting to think seriously about how to create some sustainability for the work I've been doing and how to leave a legacy from my time here. There will be no replacement person to continue the work I've been doing due to lack of funding. This means that I need to pass on support for the organisations I've been working with to a colleague, who already has plenty of work.

What can I do to help? I'm starting to look at policies, fact sheets, training courses and other resources to leave behind. What is being used in other countries that could be adapted for Uganda? Can what I create also be used in other countries with a little adaptation?

What are we going to do next? Certainly I have gained skills in working with multiple organisations and different cultures. I've gained skills I never expected to need, like riding on a boda boda, using long drop toilets, price negotiation and making do with much less than we are used to in the UK. We decided during the Christmas break back in the UK that living and working abroad long term was not for us but perhaps short term contracts in different places can make use of the skills and experience I now have.


No comments:

Post a Comment